Motorola Solutions signs agreement to take over the Norwegian nationwide TETRA network Nodnett Project from Nokia Siemens Networks
OSLO, Norway – 11 Jan, 2012 – Motorola Solutions (NYSE: MSI), a leading provider of mission-critical communications solutions, and Nokia Siemens Networks have signed an agreement to transfer the responsibility for the nationwide TETRA Nødnett project, including associated employees, from Nokia Siemens Networks to Motorola Solutions. Nødnett is the multi-agency digital radio communication system owned by a separate administration body, Direktoratet for Nødkommunikasjon (DNK – The Directorate for Emergency Communication), which leads the development of the communication network for emergency and public safety services in Norway and is subordinated to the Ministry of Justice. The involved parties are targeting closing the transaction by the end of February 2012, subject to customary closing conditions including regulatory approvals and more specifically approval from the Norwegian government for the transfer of the Nødnett contracts.
Subject to the closing of the transaction, Motorola Solutions will assume responsibility as the prime contractor for the further roll out, implementation and operation of the Nødnett network.
- In accordance with the agreement, Nokia Siemens Networks agreed to transfer to Motorola Solutions its previous role as the prime contractor and system integrator for DNK.
- Upon the closing of the transaction, Motorola Solutions will broaden its scope from being sub-supplier of the technology for the core TETRA (Terrestrial Trunked Radio) digital radio communications infrastructure to become the prime contractor including all managed services for the rollout and implementation of the system.
- As part of the planned transaction, Nokia Siemens Networks employees related to the Nødnett project will have the opportunity to transfer to Motorola Solutions as part of the transaction.
- A globally recognised leading TETRA solutions supplier, the Motorola TETRA portfolio comprises infrastructure solutions, terminals, applications and services, which are currently delivered and in use in more than 100 countries around the world. Motorola Solutions recently announced the milestone shipment of 1.5 million TETRA terminals worldwide.
- Motorola Solutions´ Global Services Organization has deep expertise in integrating and operating complex mission critical communications networks. The organization has a proven track record as systems operator for nationwide public safety networks including in Denmark as owner of the operator company. It supports operation of the national emergency systems in Austria, Portugal and Ireland.
Manuel Torres, corporate vice president and general manager, Motorola Solutions, Europe, Middle East and Africa
“We are delighted to have this opportunity to strengthen our long-term relationship with DNK as its prime partner in implementing and operating the nationwide Nødnett network. Mission critical radio solutions are a core area for Motorola. We are a leader in TETRA technology with a proven track record as a systems integrator. Together with DNK and other involved parties, we believe that Motorola Solutions will succeed in delivering a communications network upon which mission critical organisations in Norway can rely.”
Esa Harju, Head of Nordic and Baltic, Nokia Siemens Networks
“Motorola Solutions is already the key technology provider for the Nødnett project. Based on its expertise and excellent track record, we believe it has the best fit to take over responsibility for the Nødnett project, as Nokia Siemens Networks continues to build a sharper focus on its new strategy around mobile broadband with leading commercial operators. We believe that working with a leading TETRA technology supplier will also benefit the overall project, and offer excellent opportunities for employees working on it.”
Finn Erik Hermansen
Country Director, Norway
Nokia Siemens Networks
tel. +47 9054 9210
Nokia Siemens Networks