TETRA digital two-way radio system enables secure, reliable communication at one of the leading integrated science and technology companies
IDSTEIN, Germany – November 7, 2014 – Motorola Solutions (NYSE: MSI), a leading provider of mission-critical communications solutions, has been selected by Dow Chemical to deliver a state-of-the-art TETRA (Terrestrial Trunked Radio) digital radio system to the company’s premises in the Netherlands.
Due to its sophisticated transmission technology, the TETRA solution permits interference-free, secure and clear voice calls in the presence of loud background noise commonly encountered at industrial facilities. The contract scope includes the delivery of a future-proof Dimetra IP Compact solution, Motorola MTP850Ex ATEX TETRA portable radios, Motorola MTM5400 TETRA mobile radios as well as MTS4 and MTS1 TETRA base stations for more than 880 users.
The digital two-way radio equipment will be installed by Motorola Solutions’ partner Flash Services Netherlands, market leader and certified organisation for mobile communication solutions, which will be responsible for developing a new fleet map to exactly cover the operational requirements of the users, the configuration of the TETRA systems, user training, programming of subscribers and distribution to end users. Further service and support provided by Motorola Solutions and Flash Services Netherlands include project management, engineering, factory and site acceptance tests (FAT, SAT) as well as coverage testing and documentation.
The order is part of Motorola Solutions’ global agreement with Dow Chemical. The TETRA system will be used as an independent communication platform across Dow Chemicals’ operations in the Netherlands.
- Motorolas’ Dimetra IP Compact provides a comprehensive communications solution using an enhanced IP architecture to ensure optimum call set-up and availability. Dimetra IP Compact supports a number of capabilities to maximize system availability including operational features such as geographic redundancy for reliable communications. The flexible architecture allows Dow Chemical to expand the infrastructure according to its future requirements without disrupting existing users.
- The Motorola MTP850Ex TETRA portable radio provides high-quality communications with comprehensive user safety and class-leading ATEX specifications allowing use in environments that contain potentially explosive gas and dust. The MTP850Ex also offers key accessories compatible with industry standard breathing apparatus. The Savox accessories have been ATEX certified with the MTP850Ex and include a large PTT button which can be mounted to the front of a fire suit, and helmet communications to be placed inside a fire fighters helmet. The state-of-the-art integrated GPS receiver offers the ability to locate personnel through the radio, improving user safety and resource management. The man down feature additionally increases security for workers.
- The Motorola MTM5400 TETRA mobile radio provides extended coverage, exceptional audio performance and advanced data connectivity to address current and future critical communication needs. The mobile radios feature an integrated gateway that connects users operating in direct mode with control room staff and other colleagues on the TETRA network. Through its exceptional TETRA RF capability, the Motorola MTM5400 delivers up to a 14 per cent increase in the network’s reach* compared to similar radios in its class.
- The Motorola MTS4 sets new standards for high-capacity, high redundancy base stations while ensuring end-to-end security. Built and designed for future communications, the Motorola MTS4 is TETRA Enhanced Data Service (TEDS) ready to support secure mission-critical high-speed data services. Dow Chemical will combine the Motorola MTS4 with the Motorola MTS1 TETRA base station, a comprehensive coverage solution that can be rapidly installed and commissioned. Due to its small rugged form factor and IP66 weather resistant enclosure, the Motorola MTS1 can be used for indoor or outdoor wide area coverage applications.
- Motorola Solutions’ TETRA portfolio comprises infrastructure solutions, terminals, applications and services, which are currently used in over 120 countries around the world. To date, Motorola Solutions has sold more than 2 million TETRA terminals worldwide, confirming its technology and market leadership in digital radio communications for mission-critical operations. Motorola Solutions’ robust, intuitively operated products are subjected to rigorous testing at every stage – from the development phase onwards to guarantee high-quality and reliable operation even under extreme conditions.
Kees Deurloo, project manager, Dow Chemical in the Benelux
“We are always striving to connect chemistry and innovation, generating new ways to solve global challenges and to improve the work of our employees around the world. This is why we have chosen the future-proof TETRA technology from Motorola Solutions, which provides us with the best terminals and infrastructure on the market and enables our workers to complete their tasks as securely and efficiently as possible.”
Rob Sliedrecht, director, Government & Public Safety, Motorola Solutions, Netherlands & Belgium
“Working closely with our longstanding partner, Flash Services, we will deliver our market-leading TETRA digital two-way radio terminals and infrastructure to Dow Chemical. This will ensure reliable and secure mission-critical communications for the workers, providing them with optimised situational awareness and support for completing tasks in such a demanding environment.”
Marcel Koelewijn, sales manager Benelux, Flash Services Netherlands & Belgium
“We have longstanding experience in the delivery of TETRA communications solutions for highly demanding applications in the chemical and refining industry. Together with our partner Motorola Solutions, we will equip Dow Chemical with best-in-class terminals and infrastructure. We are looking forward to support this leading enterprise with our expertise and our full-service concept.”
*Compared to an ETSI specification radio, using the HATA Urban Model
Press Contacts Motorola Solutions:
Mobile: +46 707448893
Mobile: + 49 1726161773