IDSTEIN, Germany – May 10, 2012 – Motorola Solutions (NYSE: MSI), a leading provider of mission-critical communication solutions, announced today that the energy utility company RheinEnergie AG has selected Motorola to upgrade and expand its Motorola TETRA (Terrestrial Trunked Radio) digital radio system in Cologne, Germany. Motorola will upgrade the existing TETRA digital radio network to its latest Dimetra TETRA Release 8.0 platform in addition to enhancing system resilience through the provision of additional redundant elements.
Motorola’s Dimetra TETRA Release 8.0 platform delivers many new capabilities and enables significant reduction of operating costs for users through reduced site footprint, efficient site connectivity options and up to 60 percent less power consumption.
The upgrade and expansion for RheinEnergie is Motorola’s third implementation of its latest Dimetra TETRA platform for a utility company, following the recent announcement of the upgrade of the Vattenfall TETRA systems in Berlin and Hamburg.
- The TETRA digital radio solutions from Motorola enable RheinEnergie to communicate reliably with its field employees at all times. Even if public mobile or cable-based telephone networks should fail during serious disasters, RheinEnergie technicians can still be contacted due to the redundant infrastructure of the TETRA digital radio solutions.
- In the course of the upgrade, Motorola will implement its future-proof Dimetra SR 8.0 platform at RheinEnergie. This enables superior performance and helps RheinEnergie increase resilience and capacity as well as lower running costs through streamlined system upgrades and maintenance.
- Motorola has been a TETRA technology partner to RheinEnergie since 2005. The network implemented at RheinEnergie was the first IP-capable TETRA system in Germany. Motorola delivers TETRA solutions to provide a fail-safe communications system that enables field workers to have access to required information at any time and at any location to further reduce power outages.
- RheinEnergie’s TETRA digital two-way radio network has 21 available frequencies and a public trunking license. This enables RheinEnergie AG to expand the network to external subscribers and its cooperative partners. The TETRA digital two-way radio network is used by the Municipal Public Order Office of the City of Cologne, the municipal water treatment works of Cologne and the Ford car plants.
- The Motorola TETRA portfolio comprises infrastructure solutions, terminals, applications and services, which are currently used in more than 100 countries around the world. The company continues to maintain a leading position in the area of TETRA digital radio solutions and has delivered more than 1,500,000 TETRA terminals worldwide. Motorola recently won major contracts for delivering TETRA digital two-way radio technology to the German federal states Hessen and Lower-Saxony.
Wolfgang Hertling, manager of information technology, RheinEnergie AG
“To supply the Cologne region without disruptions with electricity, gas and water, fast response times are crucial in our daily business. By implementing the TETRA digital radio system together with Motorola, we benefit from the reliable transmission of voice and data. Furthermore, the TETRA system allows us to implement applications for telecontrol, telemetry and workforce management. We are looking forward to continuing to work with Motorola.”
Klaus-Dieter Drossel, sales director, Key Accounts, Motorola Solutions Germany GmbH
“We have already proven our TETRA expertise in the utilities sector and can look back on a successful cooperation with RheinEnergie. We are delighted to upgrade the TETRA digital radio network at RheinEnergie and provide the company with our latest technology for reliable voice and data communication.”
Website: Motorola Solutions
Mobile: +46 -(0)70 -744-8893
Phone: +49 – (0)6126 – 9576 – 502
Mobile: +49 – (0)172 – 6161 – 773